By Dr. Cynthia Golomb
Microneedling with radiofrequency is becoming an increasingly popular procedure. It rejuvenates and tightens sagging skin, helping to reduce wrinkles and also to remove acne scars. RF Microneedling stimulates your skin to produce more collagen. I often treat my patients’ faces and necks, but I’ve also had excellent results in tightening other body parts, like the abdomen. Morpheus and Genius are two of the most common radiofrequency microneedling tools. If you’re considering a procedure, you’ll want to know how they differ.
Morpheus vs Genius: Quick Fact Comparison
- Number of needles: Genius uses 49, while Morpheus uses 24. Genius’ higher number of needles leads to greater skin tightening.
- Needle size: Genius’ needles are finer and more flexible than Morpheus’. They’re the sharpest, thinnest, and highest-quality needles available. They’re even gold-plated! All of these factors reduced the chance of injury to the epidermis and less pain during the treatment.
- Radiofrequency energy: Genius delivers nearly two times as much energy as Morpheus. Higher radiofrequency increases the effectiveness of the procedure.
- Radiofrequency delivery: Genius can deliver energy at a much slower rate than Morpheus, making the procedure substantially more comfortable for the patient. Genius’ sensors send feedback to the operator on the resistance and will adjust itself accordingly. Morpheus does not have that ability.
- Delivery depth: Genius’ microneedles deliver energy to the deeper layer of the dermis, bypassing the epidermis (surface layer), significantly reducing the risk of hyperpigmentation.
- Results: Genius delivers more energy per needle and has more needles, so it is more likely to tighten better than Morpheus. Morpheus can create post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation because it doesn’t provide the same feedback on energy delivery as Genius.
Things to Avoid Before and After Treatment
- Before treatment: For a few days before your Genius RF procedure, avoid drinking alcohol and taking NSAIDs, aspirin, Vitamin E and fish oil. Also, do not use retinoids for a minimum of three days prior to treatment.
- For your appointment: Come to your appointment with clean skin, free of makeup or perfume. Thirty minutes before your treatment, we will apply numbing cream to your treatment area.
- After treatment: Immediately after treatment, for the first 24 hours, you shouldn’t apply anything to the treated area, even sunscreen. You should avoid all harsh topical products or alcohol-based toners for two weeks. Avoid vigorous activity, excess heat or sun exposure for at least one week. When outdoors after the first 24 hours, you must wear a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunblock with an SPF of 30 or higher. I also recommend hats, umbrellas, or other sun protection to protect your skin.
Morpheus vs Genius: My Recommendation
After researching both brands, reading clinical studies and speaking with other physicians, I purchased the Genius. The greater precision and more reliable results make it my clear winner. I have achieved excellent results for my patients, including reducing wrinkles, acne scars and firming up sagging skin and jowls. RF Microneedling can even be used as a preventative measure before wrinkles appear! I have a Lutronic Genius machine in my office in Hallandale Beach, Florida (near Miami). Schedule your appointment online today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any possible complications/side effects?
There are many expected skin reactions, such as redness and swelling. Some patients may have transient, pin-point bleeding. Pinpoint bleeding should stop within minutes after treatment, discomfort should stop within a few hours, and redness and swelling should gradually diminish in one to three days. Crusting may appear one to two days after treatment and sloughs off in three to five days. You may need a few days of social downtime.
How much does the procedure cost?
Depending on the area or areas treated, one treatment can range from $500 to $1,200.
How long will it take to see results? How long will they last?
You can expect to see some changes within days after the procedure. However, your body will continue to build collagen for several weeks, so you will see improvement over the next six months. A Genius treatment has long-lasting results as your body produces more collagen in the treated areas. With proper maintenance and a good skin care regimen, the effects could last for years.
How many treatments are required?
Most patients achieve the best results with two to four treatments, depending on the area or areas treated.
Are there any alternatives?
Genius RF microneedling is considered an alternative to ablative lasers. Genius has much less downtime and wound care than an aggressive laser treatment.
Is a consultation appointment required?
A consultation is always a good idea so you can learn more about what the treatment will be like and what your post-care responsibilities will be. I can also give you an idea of how many treatments you may need to achieve your goal.
Schedule your Genius RF Microneedling Appointment Today!
Ready to take the next step in tightening your skin to reduce wrinkles, reverse acne scars, or stop sagging skin? Schedule your appointment online. Or call or text 954-251-0367 to contact Dermatology Boutique, the office of Cynthia Golomb, MD. She is widely considered one of the best dermatologists in Hallandale Beach. Dr. Golomb treats patients from Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Golden Beach, North Miami Beach, Pembroke Pines, and Hollywood, FL.