As you age, you may notice new purple and blue veins along your legs. They could be reticular and spider veins, often due to improper circulation in the legs, which can be hereditary or caused by standing for much of the day for your job. These new veins can be an unwanted change in the appearance of your legs, in addition to causing discomfort. Luckily, Dermatology Boutique has the perfect treatment for you: sclerotherapy targets those unwanted veins and can make them disappear instantly or in as few as three months.
What is Sclerotherapy Treatment?
Sclerotherapy treatment is a medical procedure to eliminate reticular and spider veins from your legs by collapsing them. This treatment involves injecting Asclera (polidocanol) into your veins, which causes them to disappear. This procedure is performed in the office, takes no more than an hour, and is generally pain-free.
While there are other alternatives, Dr. Cynthia Golomb prefers injecting Asclera (polidocanol) over foam or glycerin because, in her more than 20 years of experience, it provides the best and longest-lasting results.
Most patients need three to five treatments every eight weeks for optimal results.
How Can I Prepare for Sclerotherapy Treatment?
- Treat varicose veins first! Varicose veins are large and bulge out from your skin, measuring 2.5mm or larger. It is best to have those taken care of by a physician who specializes in varicose veins prior to seeking sclerotherapy treatment. Varicose veins “feed into” and can create new reticular and spider veins.
- Schedule your consultation. During your consultation with Dr. Cynthia Golomb, she will assess the number of treatments needed and the time necessary to allot for your appointments. Cosmetic consultations can be booked online. You may also call or text 954-251-0367 to make your consultation appointment.
- Purchase compression stockings. Dr. Golomb recommends 20-30mm Hg compression for best results. These should be brought along to your treatment appointments to be worn immediately following.
- Avoid tans, sun exposure, moisturizers, and long pants for your appointment. You should not have a tan at the time of your treatment and will need to avoid sun exposure for one month prior. Do not use moisturizer on your legs on the day of your treatment. Most patients find wearing a skirt or shorts to be the most comfortable for treatment.
Please let us know prior to treatment if you have sensitivities or allergies to adhesives or latex.
What is the Healing Process Like for Sclerotherapy Treatment?
The healing process for sclerotherapy is usually very easy; unwanted reactions are rare and easily treatable. As a precaution, patients must stay in the office for 15 minutes after their sclerotherapy treatment to assess possible allergic reactions. If you have itching or hives afterward, you can treat this easily with an over-the-counter antihistamine.
Symptoms to Expect
You may experience some browning in your veins before they disappear. This is entirely normal! Bruising and other discoloration are also common following treatment and should resolve over a number of weeks.
Guidelines Following Treatment
- Avoid sun exposure. You should avoid sun exposure to prevent discoloration as the veins collapse. Wearing protective clothing and a broad-spectrum sunblock for at least one month after treatment can help prevent sun damage.
- No strenuous exercise. You may exercise following treatment, but avoid strenuous, high-impact activities for one week immediately after sclerotherapy.
- Walk! Walk at least 20 minutes a day after your procedure.
- Avoid excessively hot baths, showers, or hot tubs. Avoid putting your legs in hot water for the first week following treatment.
- No air travel. Do not fly within the first 14 days after your treatment to reduce the risk of a blood clot forming in your leg.
How to Heal Properly
Proper bandaging following sclerotherapy is critical for the success of the procedure. After your Asclera injections, your legs will be bandaged. Your compression stockings will be put on over the bandages, which must remain in place for 24 hours. You may remove the bandages the following morning; patients often find it easiest to remove the compression tape after soaking in a warm (not hot!) bath or shower. Compression stockings should be put back on after the bandages are removed and must be worn at all times except when sleeping and bathing for the next three days. Walking at least 20 minutes a day after treatment is beneficial.
How Much Does Sclerotherapy Treatment Cost?
Unfortunately, insurance companies consider sclerotherapy a cosmetic treatment, as reticular and spider veins do not pose a health risk, so the cost for this treatment is entirely out of pocket.
The initial consultation is $175, which will be applied to your procedure cost. Each treatment costs $350.
Other Frequently Asked Questions About Sclerotherapy Treatment
If you still have questions about sclerotherapy treatment, read below for answers! If your question is not featured below, call or text at 954-251-0367.
Can I Have a Sclerotherapy Treatment if I’m Pregnant?
No, you can not receive sclerotherapy while you are pregnant.
What is the Best Time of Year to Get Sclerotherapy Treatment?
Winter is the best time of year to receive sclerotherapy treatment because of the necessity of wearing your compression stockings for three days following treatment as well as the importance of staying out of the sun during your healing process.
What Are Alternatives to Sclerotherapy Treatment?
A vascular laser treatment of spider veins can be helpful as an alternative to sclerotherapy, but sclerotherapy provides better results.
Can Sclerotherapy be Used for Facial Veins?
When treating spider veins in the face, Dr. Cynthia Golomb prefers a vascular laser. Due to the many small arteries (arterioles) in the face, a vascular laser, like the Cutera excel V, is a much safer choice.
Schedule Your Sclerotherapy Treatment Consultation Today!
If you’re ready to take the next step for your sclerotherapy treatment, you can schedule your consultation online or by calling or texting 954-251-0367. Dr. Cynthia Golomb at Dermatology Boutique is widely considered one of the best dermatologists in Hallandale Beach. She treats patients from Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Golden Beach, North Miami Beach, Pembroke Pines, and Hollywood, FL.